We all know how important it is to drink water. Water is the most important nutrient for our bodies after oxygen. The human body is approximately 70% water, so when we haven’t drunk enough water, our energy levels are lower and we feel more tired.
So why should we drink up?
- Water cleanses the body of toxins: Water improves your blood circulations flushing out toxins and impurities. It also increases water in your skin cells which helps to get rid of wrinkles and helps to keep you looking younger.
- Water boots your energy: When we are not properly hydrated it can lead to fatigue, because it impacts the flow of oxygen to the brain. It causes the heart to work harder pumping oxygen to all the various organs and in turn makes us more tired.
- Water helps to sip stress away: There is a clear link between water and stress reduction. Research has shown that even mild dehydration can increase cortisol levels. Simply put, when you don’t give your body the fluids it needs, you are putting stress on it and it is going to react negatively.
- Water suppresses the appetite: Hunger and thirst are often confused, which is why it is always recommended that you drink a glass of water before deciding if you are hungry. This has the added benefit that a glass of water before meals helps to curb your appetite and will mean you feel more satisfied.
- Water speed up your metabolism: Studies have shown that the more water your drink the higher the rate you burn calories.
- Water can aid in exercise: Water is a key nutrient in the makeup of the synovial fluid, which helps lubricate your joints and allows for ease of movement. If you fail to drink enough water, even for a short time, less fluid is available to protect your joints.
For more tips on staying hydrated click here.