When we are stressed, our cortisol levels increase. An increase in cortisol can often cause us to crave unhealthier food options. Researchers at the University of California at San Francisco Medical center, concluded that women tend to crave mostly carbohydrates, especially sweet foods. Whereas, a recent survey found 61% of males crave salty snacks when under pressure.
When stressed and craving unhealthy foods, try to steer the cravings by eating foods proven to have a calming effect on your mind and body.
Here’s our recommendations;
1. Asparagus: high in B-Vitamin ‘folate’, which is essential for keeping calm! It is said to decrease stress and anxiety and produce dopamine for the brain.
2. Avocados: contain vitamin E as well as high levels of vitamin B also, in specific more ‘folate’ than any other fruit. B vitamins can help to decrease stress levels “by working with brain chemistry and balancing neurotransmitters”. They also contain glutathione, which stops the intestine absorbing certain fats that cause oxidative damage more folate than any other fruit.
3. Blueberries: They provide antioxidants and have been linked to sharper cognition and other positive health outcomes. As well as, they are also a source of fibre and vitamin C, which is important for supporting your immune system.
4. Cashews: Source of zinc—which has been linked to both decreasing anxiety and depression. However, as our bodies cannot store zinc, try consuming it regularly.
5. Chocolate: Dark chocolate lowers blood pressure, which can make you feel a lot calmer.
6. Chamomile tea: has been proven to calm nerves and promote sleep.